2020 was a seminal year for the culture of MSL. With a new CEO and MD on board, we pivoted away from a value-first world (defined by how much stuff we can sell) to a Values-First world, where how we show up as people and as an agency is as important as what we do. We introduced an entirely new values-led proposition for the agency that defines our new culture and the way we build communications for clients. Our new positioning “We Build Belief” is all built on the foundation of a new culture to Believe In.
We’re proud to have been recently shortlisted for Large Agency at PR Week’s Best Place to Work 2021 and for our recent employee communications work with AXA Health at PR Week’s Global Awards.
Our mission is to be the most progressive networked agency in the market, a home to fresh and diverse talent. We’re looking for a brilliant, curious Account Executive to join us on this journey.
An AE should be developing their PR skills and be the eyes and ears of the account. They should have strong media skills, knowledge of how media and influencers works, keen interest in social and digital media – and be competent in the day-to-day processing of their accounts.
The AE role is always busy and a strong AE will shine when presented with work that needs actioning quickly and to the highest standard – a good AE will always be prepared to get stuck in and help out.
From an Account Manager’s perspective, they are looking for do-ers who show a real passion for PR and social. At the heart the AE should always be willing to get on the phone to generate ‘coverage’ opportunities. A strong AE will look for new opportunities for their clients’ within the media landscape and will be able to react quickly and intelligently to a story.
The AM will also expect a high level of support with day-to-day admin, coverage and some client management. Juggling deadlines, proactivity and good prioritisation skills will be crucial.
The AEs need to be great role models for the JAEs, with initiative and confidence. Aside from experience, there are some key factors that make the AEs stand out above the JAEs. The AE has a broader understanding of the media and the opportunities they present clients. The AE also displays further understanding and confidence across client work and campaigns. The AEs should be learning management skills – taking responsibility of the interns and work experiences.
Like all people at MSL, the AE inherently will be looking for new ways and approaches, bringing suggestions, questions and creative thoughts to the team.
The AE should have a positive effect on the wider agency. Your role is just as important as those above you in contributing to our positioning ‘We Build Belief’ and our agency culture.
1. Day-to-day office and account support
- Looking after team admin – making sure folders are organised, media coverage is filed, media lists are updated
- Good prioritisation of tasks, with the assistance of your AM and AD
- Being able to manage the time and work for an intern/work experience, plus making them feel welcome at MSL
- Be responsible for meeting room bookings – whether asked by your team or thinking ahead regarding potential client meetings
- Being responsible for office product deliveries, collection of deliveries from reception and loading bay from arrival. Boxes/deliveries to be unpacked/organised within 24 hours
- Being responsible for small admin tasks such as couriers and organising transport/taxis for media or clients for events
- Junior finance (including raising POs, job numbers, timesheets, expenses)
2. Media Relations/understanding different communications platforms
- Being responsible for writing the daily news round up
- Daily morning online news search for owned accounts and circulating – to be shared with account team in the first instance and then with clients if AMs / ADs flag required
- Building an understanding of how different communications platforms work – you will have a good understanding and analysis of the media landscape, influencers and the wider PR business.
- Reading the news daily to find out about competitor brands and the news in general
- Knowing what the headlines are / what the big stories are on a daily basis
- Looking for opportunities to react to stories
- Strong media relationships – knowing who the news editor is at the nationals, which journalist/influencer to speak to for specific clients when journalists move positions – and keeping the team informed
- An AE should be out there networking, meeting media to help build relationships – and should be able to do this without always being accompanied by a more senior member of the team
- Detailed understanding of the campaign/press office requirements
- Daily and weekly coverage tracking/clipping and reporting as appropriate
- Researching, creating and updating cultural calendars across relevant clients
3. Writing/Managing to a high standard
- Helping to write up full coverage updates for clients on the day of a news sell-in
- You will be expected to edit and proofread written communication to an excellent standard (for example, write and draft client and press materials without mistakes in a structured and organised manner) – including:
- Press releases
- Interview briefing notes
- Logistics documents
- Media alerts
- Case studies
- Opinion pieces
- Photography / creative briefs
- Client emails
- Case studies for new business credentials and social media platforms to write insightful content pieces on behalf of MSL
- Pulling together weekly/monthly reports – for sign-off by a senior member of the team
4. Knowledge of the client & keeping on top of the media agenda
- Asking questions about the account, hungry for knowledge about the plans, how can they help?
- Understanding the client’s business – the AE should be looking at the wider campaign, rather just the elements they are working on and developing a solid understanding of our clients’ businesses as well as general industry trends
- Leading on research jobs needed for client or pitch work, comfortably presenting them in a digestible format
5. Be a strong communicator
- Clear and concise communication within the team, to media and to clients
- The ability to present an idea/thoughts on how to react to news
- Ability to deliver an opinion on a client brief
- Delivering information on day to day press office work to the client
We want everyone to have a happy, rewarding and career-defining experience while working with us. We’ll give you access to great client work and a host of benefits, including:
We actively encourage everyone to take all their holiday leave because we know it is important for your wellbeing. At MSL we all get 25 days of holiday a year, plus a few extras:
- Special day – Take an additional day of holiday on us to celebrate a special day in your year. It could be your birthday, a family celebration or a house move. It’s yours to enjoy.
- 3@3 – From June to August, we give you three afternoons off from 3pm to enjoy the sun.
- Sabbatical – Been with us for three, five or 10 years? We’ll give you an extended leave of absence to explore the world. Just make sure to share your experience with us when you get back – we’d love to know what you get up to.
Pension & insurance
Everyone has different priorities, at MSL we want to ensure that you’re able to save for and protect what’s most important to you.
- Pension – Our pension plan runs either as a contributory scheme, or the government-led auto-enrolment pension scheme.
- Income protection – Providing you with financial support if you can’t work because of illness or injury, and where appropriate, can give you professional help in planning your return to the workplace.
- Life Assurance – If your circumstances require life assurance, you could opt-in to our Groupe policy.
Health & wellbeing
Physical and mental health matter – so we have a variety of opt-in and free benefits.
- Health insurance – You have the option to take advantage of our Groupe policy and join a private healthcare scheme with AVIVA.
- AVIVA Digital GP app – All our employees have free access to this 24/7 online GP service– not just the AVIVA members.
- Headspace – mental wellbeing is vital, this is why we’ve made the health and happiness app, Headspace, available to all employees for free.
- EAP – a 24/7 workplace support service that gives all employees access to free, information, counselling, emotional support and wellbeing advice.
- Eye care – Free eye tests and £100 towards prescription eye wear is available to all employees.
- Personal training – Every Tuesday and Thursday morning at 8am, our personal trainer takes us all through an online HIIT class – join us, it’s free for all MSLers. (You’ll also have access to the very small Chancery Lane gym when you’re in the office.)
Big and small thank yous
Every day people go above and beyond at MSL, and we want to thank you as much as possible.
- Renegade Master – Four times a year we all get to vote for the person who best demonstrates the MSL Values. The winner receives £1,000 plus two days to do something they believe in. The only catch: you have to report back and let us know what you did with the prize.
- JAM Jar – Our weekly all-agency JAM sessions are a way for us to all keep in touch. We give a shout-out every week to one person who deserves extra thanks.
- Random Acts of Kindness – A small, unexpected gift, sent out entirely at the will of our People Team, just to say thanks. It could be a bunch of flowers or some fresh coffee.
- £100 WFH voucher – with our flexible working policy, we want to ensure that your work-from-home set up is suited to your needs. We’ll arrange a WFH desk assessment, and then give you £100 to help improve your WFH set up.
- £2,000 referral fee – A friend of yours is a friend of ours. Refer them for a job at MSL and once they’ve passed their probation, we’ll give you £2,000.
Learning & development
We believe in life-long learning, so we give all MSL employees the opportunity to take advantage of MSL and Publicis Groupe training.
- L&D – Our learning and development team have a full training programme available to everyone in the Groupe. They’ve considered training for all levels, from new starters to managers to directors.
- Marcel Classes – There are 100s of e-learning classes and programmes available to you, they’re on-demand so can be completed at any time.
- MSL-training sessions – Our internal training sessions are run by our people, sharing the variety of skills we have in the business.
- Mentors – We know the value of mentors, so at Publicis Groupe we have a group of active mentors, with diverse experience and skills, that you can tap into when you need it.
- Working abroad – We want you to experience as much as you can at MSL and Publicis Groupe, which means you’ll have the opportunity to work at any of our offices across the globe.
- Discounted travel – We’ll buy your annual travel card for you and then deduct the reduced value from your salary throughout the year.
- Bicycle discount – We support the government cycle-to-work scheme and can offer you a substantial discount on whatever bike you prefer – plus accessories.
Want to know more? Please speak to our People Team.
All MSL benefits are available to our permanent employees who have passed their probation.